In the Fall of 2015, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia will implement a vocation promotion initiative. “CALLED BY NAME” is a program that invites men, 16 years of age or older, to consider a vocation as a priest. This program has been recommended by the U.S. Bishops’ Committee on Vocations in their document A Future Full of Hope: a National Strategy for Vocations to Priesthood and Religious Life for the Archdioceses and Dioceses of the United States.
At the heart of this program is the belief that all of us share a common calling through Baptism, to which we are invited to respond in a variety of ways – marriage, single life, consecrated life and ordained ministry. The CALLED BY NAME process focuses on priesthood in calling forth men to consider this vocation.
Parishioners throughout the diocese are encouraged to consider who in our midst might serve well as a priest and submit their names during weekend liturgies. There are many good prospective priests who are simply waiting to be asked.
I have redeemed you.
I have called you by name.
You are mine
The following qualities are desirable in persons identified as potential candidates:
- A person of prayer who loves the Lord
- A person who is actively involved in the life of the Church
- A person who is successful in life, including school, work, and relationships
- A “people person”
- A person with personal integrity, honesty, generosity
How does the CALLED BY NAME initiative work? Parishioners will be invited to submit names of potential candidates from their respective parishes. Upon approval of the parish staff, persons nominated will be invited to an upcoming discernment event. Participants will learn about the priesthood which the Church is inviting them to discern and will have the opportunity to seek answers to their questions and be invited to explore the discernment process further.
The CALLED BY NAME program is an ambitious undertaking which holds great promise for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Many dioceses have had success with this program in response to the invitation from their parish and diocesan Vocation Office. It remains so very important that we actively support and promote a future generation of priests to serve a growing Church, hungering for Christ in the Eucharist.
God continues to call people to serve Him in our world today. The faithful have a responsibility to help identify and invite those called. Please pray for the success of this initiative and consider whom in our midst God might be calling to serve.
Sincerely in Christ,
Father Stephen P. DeLacy
Director of Vocations to the Diocesan Priesthood
To download the Called By Name Logos and Bulletin PNG Inserts:
1) Left click once to open the file. Once opened, move the mouse over the image and click and hold. While holding, simply drag and drop the image to the desktop and release the button. The image will automatically be downloaded to the desktop and can be imported into bulletin.
2) Left click once to open the file. Move the mouse over the image. “Right Click” or “Command-Click” then choose “Save Image As…” Navigate to the location where you want to save the file on you computer. Then press “Save” – The image will now be saved to your computer and is ready to import into bulletin.